Game Fun

 This weeks reading included watching a video named 'A Theory of Fun'. The video simply talks about the definition of fun and it's effects on the brain and how it is implemented into games. 

Type 1 Games - Simply known as games about thinking.

Type 2 Games - Reflex based skills. 

"Fun is the feedback the brain gives us when we are absorbing patterns for learning purposes"

A lot of the things said in the video were very complex and hard to explain, 

For the reading I chose the link called 'Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds' 

https://mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm

The reading talks about 'MUDS', the approaches to playing muds, history of muds.

It goes into a lot of information about game heritage, theories etc, it is a lot to try and explain but I would highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in things like that. 

The entire reading took about 15mins to complete and left me with a headache, but a lot of interesting knowledge was retained :)

Another reading I had a go at was one about MDA Frameworks, 

https://users.cs.northwestern.edu/~hunicke/MDA.pdf

This article was about as long as the previous one but was worded slightly better and was easier to understand. 

The article opens by describing what exactly MDA stands for ( Mechanics, Dynamics, Aesthetics )

 















Comments

  1. Hey Dan, Good to know which readings I should go for. Thanks for the heads up! I don't know about you but I always watch the videos first to help me understand the readings that little bit more ha. Kev

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts